It is your job as a friend to inspire and to build your friends’ spirits up; and they, in return, will do the same.
Especially to my dear ol’ daddy-o who I love more than words could ever describe! You have been the best father a girl could get and I have cherished all 25 years that you have been my dad. <3
My dad and mom, around 1980.
If it is anywhere near 80% humidity, you can kiss that pretty, big hair goodbye.
I hope you all are kickin’ up your feet and having an awesome summer! I am looking forward to tanning, swimming, late-night bonfires, and lots of sweet tea during my summer adventures! Reblog and add pictures: What do you like doing during the summer?
I always joke with my sweetheart that if you have lived in the South for ten years, you are a transplant. But, at the same time, I think being Southern means a lot of different things to different people. If you feel that the South is in your soul, then you areSouthern.
You can’t consider yourself a southern belle if you can’t make a good batch of sweet tea.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the beautiful mamas out there in the world!
If you don’t have anything nice to say, whisper it to your best friend.
Convince yourself your are invincible and there will be no obstacle you can’t overcome.
Wit, charm, kindness, and a love of adventure make up the perfect Southern Belle.
Lessons from a Southern Belle would like to send a message to our (Yankee) brothers and sisters up north. My thoughts are with you, my prayers as well. Plato once said, “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” Whoever committed this crime is someone of small and sick-mindedness; “afraid of the light” so to say. My heart goes out to the victims of the families.
Once you realize that there are no secrets in a small town, the better off you’ll be.
I withheld so much college ball spam yesterday from the blog, but I just want to give a shout out to the boys playing for my city, the Louisville Cardinals! I am very proud of them!
Tonight, the Lady Cards battle it out for their own championship title! I can’t wait to see how it turns out.
You know you are a Southern Belle when the first day it hits 60 degrees, you are out getting your pedicure. The flip-flops are on!
And you should too! This year, my NaPoWriMo blog is called “With the Windows Down”. I enter every year and produce some of my best writing. NaPoWriMo goes on during the entire month of April and is for beginner poets, professional poets, hobby poets, non-poets. You receive prompts every day (you can also start from scratch.)
I encourage everyone to join. Visit the NaPoWriMo site today and submit your blog!
If you do sign up, let me know in a comment so that I can follow your progress throughout the month! What do you think about NaPoWriMo?
Dixie is not just a place where a war happened…Dixie is the heart of every southerner, Dixie is our mother and friend. Dixie is home.
Thank you! This blog would be nothing if it weren’t for followers like you! Thank you so much for the support and I am glad LfaSB can be home-away-from-home for you! <3
There are many fashion faux pas that I have been made aware of growing up in the South and white (skinny) jeans are one of them. Most people pair the worst clothing with them and they are so dang hard to keep clean! So rarely is it that anyone can pull them off, but if I had to give some advice about them, it would be the following…
- Never squeeze into a smaller size. White denim is not as forgiving as regular colored denims. It can and will show lumps and bumps in an unfavorable light, especially if there are too many squeezed into a small space. Think quarts and pint measurements, girls. What doesn’t pour in – spills over. (I am a curvy girl; I know these things.)
- Don’t make the mistake of wearing white jeans with white stiletto heals. You may as well have trailer trash (or worse) printed across your booty. An awful combination. Flats, wedges, cute pumps, strappy sandals and sexy boots – but never white heels.
- Midriff tops and white denim…absolutely not! Midriff tops are for kids, athletes and on anyone older than 20…just steer clear.
- White jeans can be so incredibly classy yet the look can be ruined if you top your outfit off with a puffa jacket. They create a truly awful outline anyway. They’re always bulky and look anything but refined.
- Don’t choose a tight, fitted leather or faux leather jacket. They just cheapen the look. They look even worse if you wear them over a top that works in harmony with white denim.
- This is the biggest fashion no-no…colored underwear. The only color that works is nude. End of story.
- Pay attention to color when you accessorize. White jeans work with most colors but most colors won’t work with you. For example, if you suit earthy tones, make sure that the top, your footwear and other accessories go well together (but aren’t matchy-matchy.) Don’t pick a beautiful chocolate brown tunic and then spoil it by wearing purple boots.
- Be careful to check the length. White denim works best when it sits neatly at your ankle. You’re aiming for the opposite of a bunched up mess atop your footwear.
- The following tops work in harmony with white denim: tunics, anything floaty and/or bohemian. Gorgeous knits (think layering/winter wear), beautifully cut shirts, empire lines and anything that’s along the lines of nautical.
The South: where family and tradition are the sugar in our tea.